Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Though I was not selected for the job, the interview was a greattt experience for me.
Had learnt a lot and am ready to go for more interviews! Lol.
But first must congrats Meihui for getting the job! (:
But sadly, the 3 of us didn't get to work at the same place. Sigh.
Nvm, meet up soon okay!

Anyway a few pointers I've picked up from my first interview.

1. Dress well - Know where the interview is held and dress accordingly.
My first interview was at CPF Board and naturally, you need to be in formal wear, no tee shirt and jeans. But I think I looked quite formal, like OL. Haha. (P.S. Not Old Lady, as suggested by Cindy Neo. Lololol.)

2. Be extra early - In case you can't find the place or got lost.

3. Bring important document (just in case) and IC
I didn't bring IC ytd la! Was like panicking when the security guard requested for it to sign us in. Then he told me to "relax, don't panick, student pass also can," Lol. So malu.

4. Know your stuff well (I) - As in know who to find & at which floor the interview is held.
Ytd, the 3 of us were like sotongs la. We thought it was on the 31st floor but the security guard insisted that it was on 37th floor cos he said it is the HR department where interviews are normally held. After much calling here and there, we finally got it and went to 37th floor. Got there at 1115am, right on the dot. Lol.

5. Know your stuff well (II) - As in have a rough idea of how the job you will be like.
I had made a fool of myself. The job I was applying for was a Helpdesk, which is like handling incoming calls, helping customers and employees (who are not very internet savvy) to deal with internet stuff. Though it was stated in the list, which our agent Grace had sent us, my impression of the job was totally off. I told the interviewers that it was to "help divert calls, for eg., if someone calls and asks for who-and-who, I'll divert the call to the person," LIKE OMG. The interviewers were like "HUH" and smiling away as they told me the correct job scope. Sigh, bad bad bad.

6. Be confident and enthusiastic - This is hell important!
The interviewers don't know you, at all. Even if you've the qualities and stuff, they will not know, unless you show them. So don't sound uncertain. Trust yourself and that you can do it. Strictly no "Uhhh, Hmmm, Ehhh, Errr, Ummm". Give a firm answer at all times. If you need to think, think quick. Be more proactive in answering the questions, as in say more and give specific details. I think I portrayed a very 'scared and uncertain' look and tone. For eg. one of the interviewer asked me if I know how to dl MSN w/o any help, I was like "errrrrr, yah," Obviously I know la. But he kinda doubted me and said, "You have a pause then, so are you really sure?" You get my point uh.

I know all these points are like "DUH, I know them long ago alreadyyyyy," but trust me, knowing and doing them are two very different things.
Practice (which is equal to more interviews) is the key.

I'm so in need to get a job la.
For moolah of cos and I don't wanna rot my life away.
Suddenly w/o the need to attend school and mug make my life rather empty.
I'm not sick or a hardcore mugger okay! Haha.

Okay, registered myself as a home tutor. o.O
People, please have faith in me! HAHA.

No comments: