I was given the opportunity to work with/for a team of 7-8 Americans (all guys, most are middle-aged and married though, haha!) at Sembawang Shipyard. It is really an eye-opener for me. I totally never expect myself working or even communicating with Caucasians, fearing that I would embarrass myself due to my poor English and communication skills. I am really soft spoken (quite unlike myself, haha), awkward and shy most of the time. Though I do understand what they are saying most of the time, I won't respond (I'm not that witty you see) much. ): But things are getting better, esp with Sean and Kyle, my 2 "mentors" who are always in office training and talking to me. It is really enjoyable working there as they are really nice, friendly, patient, gentleman-ly, humorous and all. I was so afraid that they would look down on Asians. x: Not a tinge of that. (:
And after mixing with them for a week, I feel that I am like so shallow. Not 'cos of the age difference. Really feel like a 井底之蛙; like I have not been out there to see the world and all. I think it really makes a big difference if you have been at those 大场面. You won't feel so awkward and all. I really feel that I need to do something for myself.
Really, really glad that I was given this chance to experience this. It has really been a life-changing experience for me. 1 month 3 weeks more to go and I really look forward to working! Though Kyle and Sean will be leaving (flying back to Oregon) next week and I'm kinda scared of my big boss, I don't know why... Wish me luck people! (:
Sean! The IT man! Very tall (think Yao Ming!), humorous, nice, friendly and patient! A father of 3 kids and lived in South Korea before. I have total respect for him after learning that he tries to learn and understand different cultures! I purposely stand while he sits.. Haha.
Kyle! The accountant who is in charge of training me! Patient, encouraging, organized and pro in his work! A married man but he didn't tell me much about himself though.
The two of them really take care of me well. Can't imagine work w/o them in a few days' time. ):
(P.S. Oh yah, my colleagues and bosses can't pronounce my name and guess what, I gave myself a new name on my first day of work. Haha. Come come, guess! LOL. It sounds quite similar to the word of my last name. Pretty obvious alr huh? Haha.)
Yay finally I have managed to do something for myself in my (almost) 20 years of life. Okay secret revealed. I had joined Focus Music yesterday evening with Wei He and Wee Bing. I will be paying for my own fees this time. It's like a small step to becoming independent. LOL. Like finally deciding on committing into something, persuing something I have interest in and doing something w/o asking my parents for financial aid. It's like I'm pretty much controlling my own life. Hehe. I know it's gonna be costly, but guess it's all gonna be worthed it. (: My aim is to become a performer, like singing in a restaurant or pub and bringing joy to my audience (not that I wanna be an artise, just a performer will do, hehe). Hope I can build up on my confidence level, be it in my singing, performing and person! Class only starting at the end of june and I really want to see myself completing the course and performing on stage! Wish me luck again people! Haha.

I am really lovin' this vacation!



No comments:
Post a Comment